Release: Senate Leader Announces Appointments to the Legislative Task Force on Dyslexia
JEFFERSON CITY— Senate Leader Ron Richard, R-Joplin, last week appointed 10 members to the Legislative Task Force on Dyslexia. The task force consists of twenty members including four legislative members, the commissioner of education, eight members appointed by the President Pro Tem and eight appointed by the Speaker of the House. The group will be responsible for recommending a statewide system for identification, intervention, and delivery of support systems for students with dyslexia.
“The members of this task force will improve the support system for students in this state who are struggling with dyslexia,” said Richard. “We want to help those students achieve their full potential and be the successful Missourians they are capable of becoming.”
Senate Leader Richard’s Appointments Include:
· Sen. Bob Onder, R-Lake St. Louis
· Sen. Scott Sifton, D-Affton
· Anita Kutenkuler, Independent Private Provider
· Dr. Chelsea Johnson, MD, Pediatrician with Knowledge of Dyslexia
· Eva Trumbower, Speech Language Pathologist
· Jennifer Edwards, Decoding Dyslexia Missouri
· Laura Naas, Missouri State Teacher’s Association Member
· Lorrie Wolf, Missouri International Dyslexia Association
· Dr. Philip Mothersead, PhD, Licensed Psychologist
· Terry Osborne, Private Citizen with a Child Diagnosed with Dyslexia
The task force is a result of Senate Bill 638, passed by the Legislature this session. Together they will advise the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education on guidelines for appropriate screenings of students for dyslexia as well as necessary classroom support.