Five questions with Rep. Gary Cross, R-Lee’s Summit
1. What was your first campaign experience?
Well, I ran for office in 2010 and I hadn’t run before that. Other than that, there was a guy in 1982 who ran for State Representative that I helped with, and I was a delegate supporting Reagan in 1980.
2. In what ways have you made a tangible effect on your constituents’ lives during the past legislative session?
I think most people find that if you call Gary Cross and leave a message at the office, he will call you in 24 hours. If a person sends an email with a phone number or has questions about something, I always respond to them. I want to be sure to answer people’s questions.
3. Who from the opposing party do you most respect? And your own party?
[Rep. Cross declined to answer this question.]
4. What was your dream job growing up?
I really loved sports. I thought about going into coaching whether it be football or baseball. My heart was in that particular area for sports. Business and finance were also big interests of mine, which is close to what I ended up doing.
5. What do you most enjoy about the interim?
I think my favorite part is being able to interact with other folks and taking the time to hear their points. It’s important to hear the things that are on their minds too, whether or not I agree with them. I was elected to the Missouri House of Representatives to help try and make a difference in somebody else’s life, so that’s what I’m trying to do.