Lobbyists and the establishment will not like it, but when elected, I will be joining the Missouri Senate’s Conservative Caucus. I want to provide voters with the reasons why I believe, now more than ever, elected officials must be held accountable to the will of the people they represent.
The members of the Caucus have consistently taken conservative stances on pressing issues. These leaders — Senators Bill Eigel (R-Weldon Springs); Denny Hoskins (R-Warrensburg); Cindy O’Laughlin (R-Shelbina); Andrew Koenig (R-Manchester); Bob Onder (R-Lake St. Louis); and Eric Burlison (R-Battlefield) — are fighting for Missourians’ Constitutional rights, limited government, and the right to life.
After the next election cycle, I am hoping they grow in their number and influence.
This Caucus is helping advance President Trump’s agenda here in the heartland. They took a stand against corporate welfare, they continue to protect the rights to life, to bear arms, and to privacy. They have also taken on tough issues like trying to reform Title IX, so students on campuses at Missouri’s colleges and universities have due process in what could be Kavanaugh-style accusations against our young men and women. I am looking forward to the work we will accomplish together.
The Caucus’ stances are ripped straight from the Missouri GOP Platform. These are the stances that all Republicans ought to be sticking to as representatives of the people. This includes:
- Infrastructure: Missouri should not address infrastructure needs with new revenues or debt mechanisms unless it is offset by an equal or greater tax or spending cut elsewhere. We must be efficient and effective with taxpayer money on this and every issue.
- Life and Liberty: Protect Missourian’s rights, protect the lives of the unborn, and ensure that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.
- Education: Support parents’ rights to decide what educational opportunities are best for their children and support their right to pursue different options in education.
- Healthcare: Oppose government-run databases on citizens and prevent ballooning healthcare costs.
- Less Government and Taxation: Missourians deserve to keep more of their own hard-earned income. Government should be stewards of the taxpayers, looking out for their best interests, and should not use taxpayers to fund wasteful and harmful programs.
There should be accountability and responsibility at every level of government. Like these senators, I also agree that our state needs a more responsible budgeting process. Rather than have a “slight of hand” budget manipulation process where cash is swapped around for favors, we need to move towards a budgeting process that resembles actual good business practices and invests in programs that are sure to pay off, not regional passion projects. I look forward to working with the other members to ensure a brighter future for our state and our fellow citizens.
On the walls of the state senate, there’s a motto that still rings true for me today – “Whatever is morally wrong cannot be politically right.” As your next state senator, I will stand for our Southeast Missouri values every day.
Eddy Justice is a candidate for SD 25.