|Senator Will Kraus
8th Senatorial District
For Immediate Release:
June 25, 2015
|Capitol Building, Room 418
Jefferson City, MO 65101
|Gov. signs bill allowing military children to stay in Missouri for education
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – Gov. Nixon signed a bill today that will give children in military families a more consistent educational experience.
Senate Bill 116 allows a student to remain in a Missouri school district if one or both of the student’s parents are stationed out of state. The bill was designed to provide continuity in a military child’s education, said bill sponsor Sen. Will Kraus, a Lee’s Summit Republican.
“As a veteran myself, I know how difficult it can be to be deployed or stationed out of state, both for military members and their families,” Kraus said. “When military children can stay in the same school, their education is better. They can keep their classes, their teachers and their friends.”
The new law allows children to stay in Missouri with other family members and continue attending their current school when their parent is stationed outside Missouri. This bill updated a statute added in 2013 providing the same benefit to families with a parent deployed.
“If Missouri can make a military family’s life a little easier, we should do it,” Kraus said. “We have a duty to help those who serve and the families that make difficult sacrifices for our country.”
Gov. signs bill allowing military children to stay in Missouri for education
More from GovernorMore posts in Governor »
- Could Missouri be the place for Saudi Arabia’s next big investment?
- Democrat pushback on tax cut could set stage for slow-moving special session
- Parson officially issues call for special session, lays out plan for income tax cut
- Parson signs executive order, Missouri’s drought response goes into action
- Missouri’s drought forces cattlemen to make tough decisions, Parson “ready to act if situation worsens”Missouri’s drought forces cattlemen to make tough decisions, Parson “ready to act if situation worsens”
More from LegislatureMore posts in Legislature »
More from motimesblog.comMore posts in motimesblog.com »
More from Press ReleaseMore posts in Press Release »
- Press Release: Sam Turner announces bid for Boone County Commission
- Press Release: Sherri Gallick awarded “Freshman Legislator of the Year,” announces reelection bid
- Press Release: Missouri State Council of Fire Fighters Endorses Bailey for Attorney General
- Press Release: Lynne Schlosser honored as 2023 Top Lobbyist designee
- Press Release: Congressman Mark Alford Endorses Captain Bill Irwin for Missouri House District 55