MEDIA ADVISORY: July 21, 2014
Contact: Kevin Flannery, (573) 526-0949
Season Premiere of TLC’s Who Do You Think You Are? Features Actress Cynthia Nixon Confronting Her Family’s Grim Past at the Missouri State Archives
Episode Airs Wednesday, July 23rd, at 8 p.m. with Watch Party in Holts Summit
Jefferson City, Mo. — Secretary of State Jason Kander today announced the Missouri State Archives sets the stage for actress Cynthia Nixon to uncover her family’s troubling history in a national television show appearing later this week. In the one-hour season premiere of TLC’s Who Do You Think You Are? set to air on Wednesday, July 23rd, at 8 p.m., the famous actress will retrace her father’s lineage to confront her family’s grim past.
Nixon, who is best known for playing Miranda Hobbes in the television show Sex and the City, traveled to the Missouri State Archives earlier this year to examine historic records that reveal a story of enormous personal struggle in her Missouri roots. As the episode preview notes, Nixon “meets an ancestor forced to use the most extreme measures to stay alive.”
Kander’s staff at the Missouri State Archives were instrumental to the episode’s production, helping gather the historic records and providing a venue for the episode’s filming.
· What: Cynthia Nixon confronting her Missouri family history in the season premiere of Who Do You Think You Are?
· When: Wednesday, July 23rd, 8–9 p.m. on TLC
Additionally, Missourians are invited to join State Archivist John Dougan on the evening of the episode for a watch party in mid-Missouri.
Watch Party Details
· Who: State Archivist John Dougan, genealogists, historians and the general public
· What: Who Do You Think You Are? watch party
· When: Wednesday, July 23rd, 7–9 p.m.
· Where: Canterbury Hill Winery and Restaurant, 1707 S. Summit Dr., Holts Summit
Missourians can also join the conversation about the show on Twitter using #WDYTYA.
Visit www.sos.mo.gov to learn more about the Office of the Missouri Secretary of State.